There are millions of women in the world today that strive to be beautiful. They worry about everything from their hair to their toes. Whether it is spending thousands of dollars each year on hair products, manicures and pedicures, spa treatments, or products that promote younger looking skin, these luxuries are not effective enough which then leads to cosmetic surgery.
One very popular type of plastic surgery is known as breast augmentation, or breast implants. There are many different reasons women have for wanting their breasts enlarged. Most women have breast implants to have a higher self-esteem. They believe that larger breasts will make them feel more like a woman. Other women decide to get breast implants simply because it is a trend; when someone has something valuable, everyone wants it. Women face the pressures to be beautiful and perfect each and every day, and it is only getting worse as the years go by. Tabloids and media are the means of the majority of the pressures to look beautiful. Television, magazines, newspapers, movies, etc.; the pressures to look a specific way are posted everywhere every single day. “The dissatisfaction many women experience with their body image is so profound that they respond with obsessive eating disorders or cosmetic surgery,” (Mellican, 1995). “Women are, in fact, at war with their own bodies,” (Mellican, 1995).
There are many dangers that women face with breast implants. Some of which were never described back in 1963 when breast implants became popular. Today there are two main kinds of breast implants: silicone filled and saline filled. Silicone filled implants, which were invented approximately forty-five years ago, are firmer to the touch and can be dangerous to the body’s organs if the implants would leak. Saline filled implants are the safest implant because if they would leak into the body, it would not be harmful to the organs because it is simply saline solution. However, the shell of a breast implant is made from silicone. Studies have shown that there have been a few women whose bodies have rejected the implants because they are allergic to the silicone. In this case, the organs in the body will slowly shut down and not function to their full ability. This is a very scary issue and something that many women who have had the surgery have experienced. The only choice is to leave the implants in and eventually die, or have the implants removed in hopes of fighting off the allergic reaction. One good fact about breast implants is that there has never been a case, thus far, where the implants were any cause related to breast cancer.
There are two choices when it comes to placing the implants under the breasts. Most women choose to have the implants placed under the pectoral muscle. This is usually the choice when there isn’t much breast tissue, which helps make the breast look more “real”. However, some women who already have a substantial amount of breast tissue have their implants placed over the muscle, which in turn lessens the recovery period. There are also different textures and shapes of implants to choose from. The shapes range from round to teardrop. There are also textured and smooth implants.
Any insecurity that women deal with is brought on by themselves. Being a woman myself, I understand the statement: We are our own worst enemy. We critique our bodies more than anyone else. Coming from experience, I was lucky enough to not have any complications during surgery or following surgery. I chose to have breast implants for a few reasons. First of all, I did want to feel more like a woman. Now that I have them, they did not make me feel more like a woman. Secondly I wanted to feel more proportioned. Again, I am my own worst critic. It has now been three years since my surgery and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t. Honestly, I don’t enjoy the extra attention that comes with large breasts and I know that I was absolutely fine just the way I was. We should all be thankful for our health and stop taking so many beautiful things in life for granted. Life is too short to be worrying about trying to be perfect. The truth is no one is perfect and everyone is beautiful in their own way.
Reference
Mellican, R. E. (1995). Breast Implants, The Cult of Beauty, and a Culturally Constructed ‘Disease’. Journal of Popular Culture Issue 4, 7-17. Retrieved on May 27, 2008, from Health Source: Consumer Edition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I thoroughly enjoyed your article analysis. I think it is very true that women face immense pressures to be beautiful. Society depicts a form that women should fit into every day no matter where we look. There are many diet commercials on TV, magazine adds, and posters plastered all over shopping malls portraying what a beautiful woman should look like. It's very saddening that women who don't fit into a certain category are alienated and respond to eating disorders, or extreme cosmetic surgery. Your post reminded me of a reality television show that was on a few years ago, I'm not sure if it still is or not, but it was called The Swan. It basically took societies idea of ugly people and transformed these people into what society seems beautiful.
I agree with your statement that we are our own worst enemy. We let what we see get the best of us. For example, if you stand at the grocery checkout there are a ton of magazines about dieting, and magazines with beautiful movie stars plastered all over the place, but what doesn't occur to most people is that these movie stars pay someone to cook the right foods for them and make them work out so they look a certain way. In reality these people have the time and the money to afford a lifestyle like that, it's unrealistic. You are very right, life is too short to worry about being perfect. We should enjoy who we are. It's just a shame that society makes us feel uncomfortable in our own skin.
Aw, plastic surgery. The one thing that can change us into something else and to "start over". Plastic surgery is okay, but I would never do it. A. it cost too much, and B. I'm very comfortable with myself that I don't care what other people think about me. If I like myself then that's all that matters. Those who get it, may have low self esteem and think that if they don't look good, they can't make it in today's society, and I think that's sad. We are a little to anal on ourselves and we judge too much on the outside as far as what other people look like. We do have shallow minds.
You're article analysis was very interesting. It's so hard being a woman and dealing with the pressures society puts on us, let alone the pressure we put on ourselves. I know that I deal with self esteem issues on a daily basis that I bring on myself. My mom actually had breast implants put in about 10 years ago and about a month ago had them taken out. She said it was the best decision she's every made and has never felt better. Some women love them and I guess some regret their decision. I think I've learned a lesson from my mom though!
Jamie, I really enjoyed your post.
A good friend of mine had breast implants after her first born, after breast feeding him for so long, she thought that they just weren't the same. I think she regrets having it done, and worries alot about them breaking. I don't think I could every have any kind of plastic surgery, I'm too much of a chicken, and have to be pulled to the doctor when I am sick.
However, I understand where you are coming from about someone being their own worst enemy. I'm also my worst enemy. When I was pregnant, I gained about 45 lbs. and didn't know what to expect I would look like after the baby was born. Well I was not pleased, I cried alot, exercised alot, and dieted, and had thoughts of lipo suction, but again, was too scared to ever do anything like that. Eventually in a few months my body became close to what it was before the baby and was wearing my own clothes again, so I quit obsessing so much.
Jamie,
I really enjoyed reading your article analysis. Plastic surgery has become so popular and more and more women are having things done to make themselves look a certian way. Society has put a certain status quo on women and in your article you really explained how we need to like aourselved the way we are and not how others want us to be.
I can relate to this on a personal note as I am a larger individual and at one time thought about have a lap band procedure. Afer several appointments I decided not to. I realized that there is an underlying and that is being able to accept myself and if you dont fix that first no procedue will be a true fix.
Jamie,
Interesting analysis, you are right that people should be happy for what they have and should be glad that they are healthy. It is interesting that most people say they wouldn’t do it again and that they would just be happy with what they had. With all of the media making women so self conscious and the reality shows where everyone wants to look like a pin-up girl it’s no wonder why many women want to have this and similar surgeries. Kanye West’s mother died for no reason, she didn’t have to have the surgery but did anyway and now her son has to live without her. To each his/her own, but I am staying away from the hospital unless my life is in danger.
Jamie,
Unfortunately, society and culture determines what is considered beautiful. Some cultures in Africa think women who are large are beautiful, thus young girls are fattened up before marriage, and others, like our culture think beauty is being thin with a Barbie doll body.
The dangers stated in the journal are that there is not enough correct information out there being given to women prior to deciding if the surgery is safe, let alone to argue that they really need it done in the first place. I can understan d a woman that is flatchested feeling undesirable, but there are others like Pamela Anderson that go overboard and are way out of proportion. It's still all a personal choice however. If a person is willing to pay for it and make them feel better at the same time, hey, I say go for it!
Post a Comment