Army Wives is a fairly new television series on a popular channel called Lifetime. This widely known television series is about the Army and their spouses. The everyday life of an Army Wife is not an easy life to live. There are many trials and tribulations that are lived by many of the wives and husbands of those enlisted in the military. Ironically enough, we are living in war times today. This show is one that can refer to those who are experiencing these circumstances in their own lives today; which is why it is such a good example of popular culture.
The story behind Army Wives is very heart-warming, romantic, and exciting. The show really gives a sense of what it is like to be a significant other of an American Soldier. There are a lot of hard times and many lessons learned in this television series. It truly gives a sense of what many are truly dealing with while living on an Army Base. The characters in the show “face all sorts of challenges trying to fit in, stay connected to their soldier spouses and abide by strict military traditions. Last season brought infidelity, family drama, sizzling romance, ruthless rivalries, shocking rumors and heartbreaking deployments” (Lifetime, 2008).
There are thousands of Lifetime Television viewers who can truly relate to this popular television series. I believe that this television gives a great sense of truth. Although the show doesn’t show any scenes of real combat at war, it shows the effects of real combat at war – at home. There are difficult situations; such as bomb threats, deaths, adultery, gossip, and many other life-changing experiences that a lot of family members deal with when their loved ones are enlisted in the military. However, there are also a lot of great experiences; such as births, being promoted to a higher rank, marriages, and friendship. This show has definitely given a good example of how important friendship really is. Army Wives is a great example of popular culture for all of these reasons.
Reference
Lifetime Entertainment Services. (2008). MyLifetime: Army wives. Retrieved on May 28, 2008 from http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/army-wives/about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jamie,
I have not heard about this show, but it does sound very informative. I know it must be very diffucult for these families, and I have often wondered how these brave men and women can be away from their spouses and children for so long. I guess it takes a strong commitment and will.
I have seen commercials for this t.v. show & they seem to hit home for many people. I could not begin to imagine what these families go through every day. Your description of the show shows that it definitely can relate to many people. I definitely will have to check out an episode of two to see what it's all about.
I have not seen this show but have seen advertisement for it. Your entry makes me want to take a closer look at this show. The lives of our military is so hard and affect so many others. The spouses, children, parent and so many more are having to deal with the loss of their loved ones while they are gone and adjust to a different way of living for a year or sometimes even longer at a time. I think this is such a good analysis because it combines a current issue with a television show that is becoming more popular. It was very nice to read about this and Iwill be viewing this show soon. Thank you.
Post a Comment